Thursday, January 23, 2014

In Silence the Heart Breaks

As a pastor I see and come face to face with mourning in many different forms. In addition to all my years as a minister I also worked three years in a funeral home in New Orleans. I am familiar with death, suffering, and pain. Sometimes the griefs of others affects me more than others....This is one of two written recently as I reflected on friends who are mourning the loss of loved ones.

Lonely

How do you mourn
When there are
No more sobs;
When the tears
Are as exhausted
As the soul?

I only want
To rest
For what’s left
Of my life –
A broken
Empty existence

Without you
There is no joy
Will I ever
Sleep
Without
Reaching for you?

You’re gone
Taking the
Best of me
I don’t
Want to go on

Without you

1 comment:

  1. This one really affects me, for obvious reasons. That last stanza pretty much summarizes my current state of mind.

    ReplyDelete