Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Grandchild

As some of you may be aware, Lyndra and I became grandparents last year. I never imagined what that would mean and can't really come up with words to describe the experience. We love our kids, all 5,385,613 of them....but there's something special about grandkids. 

Thinking of my grandson, I wrote this today.

Grandchild

From the moment 
I first saw you
My heart was yours

The tiniest of fingers
Toes and nose
I couldn't love you more

Tears flowed freely
From joy
A love like I've never known

But my joy 
Is by sadness tempered
For I know what awaits

Wounds of flesh and heart
Broken hearts and second place
The things that make up life

If I could save you 
From what's to come I would 
But I can't

But I will love you
Through all those days 
And more. 

Jan. 3, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment